News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Spoiler
Because of how the show suddenly changes after Himari meets Sanetoshi in her dream, right?
[close]
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Thoughts on Episode 8 "Even If Your Love Is A Lie..."
Spoiler
Wow, wasn't expecting this. Before, I described Ringo as a "creepy psycho." This episode only further solidifies that aspect of her. Stalking Tabuki is pretty creepy in and of itself, but I never would have dreamed she would go so far as to drug him and then dress like Yuri in order to have sex with him. This scene was pretty uncomfortable, but I couldn't help but watch in horrified fascination. We only just found out about her plan to have Tabuki's child, and suddenly that's being put into motion. Her diary runs a pretty tight schedule, I guess. Thank god that didn't actually happen, but... does this mean that Ringo's Project M has failed? Shoma's feelings for Ringo are becoming slightly more apparent here, especially at the end where he saves her from being hit by a truck. However, he has now been run over himself. Hooray for cliffhanger. xD
[close]

Thoughts on Episode 9 "A World of Ice"
Spoiler
Hmm, things really took a detour here. This episode is one that is thoroughly unique. Taking a look into Himari's past wasn't something I expected, given the show's focus on Ringo as of late. It feels a bit odd to place it right in the middle of the main story.

That being said, I really enjoyed this installment, mainly due to the creepy dream aspect as well as the character of Sanetoshi, who is remarkably intriguing. Himari clearly wants to ignore her past, looking for a children's novel, but he insists on showing her (and us) events from grade school--that is, her tantrum which inadvertently causes a mirror to shatter, scarring her mother for life; a subsequent near-killing of her school's koi which proves her friends to be true and loyal; and her departure from school, never to see her friends (who are now famous idols--the same girls advertising safety on the subway throughout the series) again.

I won't lie, her childhood was very sad and I was moved to tears a couple times. Sanetoshi invites her to be hateful to Hikari and Hibari, who as a final blow even use the group name "Double H," but it made me glad to see Himari claim to have no feelings of animosity toward them, "cheering them on from the bottom of [her] heart." Sanetoshi commends her kindness and rather cruelly wonders aloud why such sad events happen to such kindhearted people. He goes on to hint, though, that her story isn't over yet.

A faceless "soulmate" begins to blur into our vision just as Himari wakes and she gets a call about Shoma's accident.

There were a lot of interesting things that happened in this one. I have a feeling that, while currently a little puzzling, the information in this episode will become important to the plot soon enough. I can't wait to see where this anime is going next.
[close]
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

Thoughts on Episode 10 "Because I Love Him"
Spoiler
Not quite certain what's going on, to be honest. This episode started out strong with Shoma waking up. Ringo and Sho share an awkward, semi-tender moment.

Then things start to get a bit weird.

Shoma's nurse brings him his lunch, and drugs his food. He eats his lunch and is immediately knocked out. She takes Shoma in a cart to some unknown place, and reveals herself to be Natsume!!! Who saw that coming??? Absolutely everybody... Oh well, even if the disguise was a bit weak, it's still unnerving that she not only is tracking the twins, she isn't afraid to take action.

After that, things get weirder.

Kan goes through some trippy shit before Natsume reveals that she's one of his many ex-girlfriends, and is hellbent on getting him back. I don't quite understand the point of all the things she's doing, honestly... And who is this Mario that shows up at the end? What's going on? Well, hopefully this will all be clear in time.

I will say that I feel really stupid for not realizing that each penguin represents a specific person. Well at least I can pay attention to that the rest of the series.
[close]

Jompa

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 09, 2013, 02:58:55 PM
Spoiler
Kan goes through some trippy shit before Natsume reveals that she's one of his many ex-girlfriends, and is hellbent on getting him back. I don't quite understand the point of all the things she's doing, honestly... And who is this Mario that shows up at the end? What's going on? Well, hopefully this will all be clear in time.
[close]
oh you're gonna like how this turns out XD

Slow, please continue to do these "thoughts" posts. They are really fun to read!
------
Also, if it's not too much to ask, I wanna hear your opinion on the significance of the apples.
Momoka
And I also want to know if you have a clue to how Momoka got the diary with the magic powers?
[close]
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Like I said in my episode 7 post, I'm clueless as to the apples. Also the train station. I'll look it up if I don't get it by the end. Also idk about that other issue either.

Dude

SlowPokemon

Thoughts on Episode 11 "You Have Finally Realized It"
Spoiler
Another great episode of Penguindrum. I liked this episode a lot better than the previous one.

Starting out, Kan visits Natsume and she goes all psycho bitch for a while before it's revealed that she needs the diary for the same reason he does--she needs to save Mario. Who Mario is, however, and how he's related to Natsume, remains to be seen. I'm still pretty sure that the diary is not actually the Penguindrum, though.

Back in the Ringo storyline, her love affair with Tabuki comes to a boiling point with Ringo making a one-night love potion that turns him into a froglike, sex-crazed maniac. The borderline statutory rape that follows is very uncomfortable, which is a feeling this show excels at. And I was legit freaked out when Tabuki turned around and chased after her, trying to rape her. It was a crazy scene for sure.

The only thing that seemed out of place was Yuri's reaction. I mean, her fiance is shouting "I love you, Ringo-chan" through the door, Ringo is begging her to give up Tabuki to her and she just calmly gives her assent? I suppose she has a very cool personality.

Meanwhile, it's great that Ringo can finally admit to herself that she's in love with Sho, since the audience has known for a while and Ringo has been trying to deny it for some time. It was especially obvious once she was in bed and began crying, then admitted she couldn't have sex with Tabuki.

One thing I love about this show is that there are so many intriguing characters. I'm not sure what's up with any of them, not even Kanba--Natsume heavily alluded to some event in his past that he'd clearly rather forget. Shoma is the only one who I was certain didn't have any hidden agenda, but then at the end he reveals to Ringo (in a highly dramatic fashion) that he and Kanba were somehow responsible for the death of her sister Momoka. I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out.
[close]

SlowPokemon

Thoughts on Episode 12 "The Wheel That Spins Us 'Round"
Spoiler
Okay, so this episode was pretty drastic.

To begin with, I really liked the introduction. This is the third or fourth time they've begun with the "I love/hate the word 'fate'" spiel, and opening with the doctor showed some humanity on his part. In past episodes, the doctor seemed a bit detached from the family as well as cold and unfeeling; however, this speech showed that he has a sense of how cruel the world can be.

Sanetoshi makes his "real world" entrance here. He's one of the most fascinating characters so far despite only being in one episode, so it was something of a relief to me that he at least exists outside of dreams.

So the parents of Shoma and Kanba were leaders of a terrorist-like organization which, on the day that the twins and Ringo were born, killed several people including Ringo's older sister Momoka. While this event was obviously terrible for everyone involved, I was especially saddened by Tabuki's reaction. He and Momoka were obviously close. Still, I don't think that this is cause for Shoma to be so dramatic and claim that he and Kanba were responsible for Momoka's death. The producers probably just wanted cause for a dramatic scene...

And then we have the whole hospital scene deal. Kanba met up with the entity possessing Hamari, and tried to make a bargain "once more" (apparently he's done this before) to save her life. By far the most moving thing about this episode (and one of the most moving thigs in the series so far) is Shoma's dark variant on "Mary Had A Little Lamb" in which Mary breaks a rule in order to save the world, and as punishment, the youngest, most pure lamb is sacrificed by the goddess. This is the second time thus far that the series has brought me close to crying.

I didn't particularly like the scene in which Kanba tries to save his sister--I really dislike how they make Himari's outfit so erotic, and it seemed pretty romantic for what's supposed to be brotherly love. However, the scoring at this part was beautiful and helped smooth the whole scene over.

Himari's death was an inevitable thing, but it still comes as a shock. When I began the series, I figured Kan and Sho would of course find the Penguindrum and save Himari by the end. Now, I'm not so sure. This anime can be cruel, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they end up failing, or discover the Penguindrum isn't a real item, or even if they are killed in the process.

I'm now halfway through the series and very glad I decided to stick with it. I'm not sure how GaryOak stopped watching at this point, because that's the last thing I'd be doing--there are a lot of loose ends, and besides I want to know the rest of the story! I can't wait.
[close]

Jompa

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 09, 2013, 06:22:01 PM
Spoiler
Still, I don't think that this is cause for Shoma to be so dramatic and claim that he and Kanba were responsible for Momoka's death. The producers probably just wanted cause for a dramatic scene...
[close]
Spoiler
So you don't think that was intentional?
If my interpetation of the apples is right...
...then Sho and Kan, and actually even Himari,  do have something to do with the terrorist attack... Actually, now that I think about it, that would make most sense.
[close]
[close]

In other news everyone, the third season of The World God Only Knows, as well as a spinoff series, had begun to air! I already made a post about how awesome this show is, and believe me, it is!
So watch it!:)
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

I'm not reading your thing about the apples, btw

Jompa

Good

Edit: read it after the cage scene. you may come to the same realisation as I did.
Birdo for Smash

GaryOak

My interest towards that series sort of shifted every other episode. I think it would be best to watch all the episodes at once (I had like 20 series on my watch list). At that time I had more interest in realistic stories and Mawaru kind of stuck out in a bad way. Gotta give it a new go in the future.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

SlowPokemon

Thoughts on Episode 13 "Crime and Punishment For You and Me"
Spoiler
The series has hit a strong string of episodes and hasn't let up so far.

After another "I hate the word 'fate' sequence, in which Sanetoshi echoes the doctor's sentiments almost word for word, Kanba proves his love for his sister once more, willing to do anything in order to convince Sanetoshi to give Himari the medication. This scene was wonderful, due in no small part to Yukari Hashimoto's lovely piano score underlying the whole affair. I will definitely be downloading the OST for this anime when I finish it.

The extended flashback sequence would, I think, be better if the audience was not already aware that Mr. and Mrs. Takakura were behind the act of violence. The reveal on the television screen was pretty jarring, but the audience had already known about that plot point. It was pretty heartbreaking to see young Kanba's reaction though--"How are we supposed to tell that to Himari?"

This sequence took up most of the episode. Afterward, Ringo sort of sees the twins in a different light, and confides in Tabuki that she wishes Shoma hadn't told her about it. Tabuki was very quiet and logical about his responses, though, and his confessions were quite moving. I also really enjoyed the frog imagery in the park--is Tabuki going to be surrounded by frog symbolism after the incident with the potion?

While I'm thinking about it, what's up with Natsume and Mario? Natsume is portrayed as a villain because she opposes Kanba, but if she needs to save Mario's life, why is her story any less important? What makes Himari a better candidate for the Penguindrum than Mario?

Finally, Sanetoshi the "goddess" and his two "black cat" girls (to relate to Shoma's story of Mary and the three lambs) are probably the most intriguing characters at this point in the story, because you honestly have no idea what's up with them. All I know is that whenever I see that long mane of shockingly pink hair, something strange or interesting is about to take place.
[close]

Jompa

The drog symbolism was just a reference to Sayonji in Utena
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Btw I finished last night, and it was amazing...please go watch it everyone...