News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Anime and Manga suggestions.

Started by The-Real-Link, January 24, 2009, 11:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jompa

Is it weird if I attempted to watch Dusk Maiden of Amnesia three times but chose to drop it all three times - but then picking it up again a fourth time only because Jessica Boone and Emily Neves are doing the dub, and with that in mind I now think it is an awesome show? :o
Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Jompa

I have been watching Revolutionary Girl Utena for some days now (which is one of the best shows I've ever seen), and at episode 10 I realize that one of the main cast is voiced by Chrispin Freeman, and my head just explodes. Boom.
Birdo for Smash

GaryOak

Just heard that Soul Eater manga is ending this year D:. It's a good thing that they don't drag it on but it's always sad when a good series ends.
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

Quote from: Saria
I love you. <3
Quote from: Bubbles
I love you
Quote from: Waddle Bro
<3 u2 Gary

SuperFireKirby

PRAISE THE LORD ALMIGHTY, NARUTO HAS RETURNED FROM THE LAND OF ANNOYING FILLERS!

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

GaryOak

You should read it instead : 33333333
In Finnish hunting culture it is common for hunters to shoot everything that moves, sometimes even themselves.

I love you. <3
I love you
<3 u2 Gary

Yugi

Started watching Persona 4 the Animation.

Dojima's voice is amazing  ;D

SlowPokemon

I have watched the first five episodes of Mawaru Penguindrum (which Jompa recommended a couple pages back). I can say that I am absolutely hooked, and that it's every bit as good as he was claiming. Please, guys. Watch this anime.

Also, watch it subbed because the dub is irritating..

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Yeah Kanba's voice is really awkward in English.

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

SlowPokemon

Well watch it dubbed then. It's probably equally good lol. I just didn't like it much. It's the same story.

SlowPokemon

Okay, I finished episode 7.

Spoiler
What the hell?! "Project M" is Ringo's plan to bear Tabuki's child?! This is really creepy.

Ringo is definitely my favorite character. I mean, she's a total psycho with her stalking of Tabuki, so on the one hand she's unpredictable and a little creepy. I'm never quite sure what she's going to do. However, there's also the fact that she tends to be a bit incompetent in her plans. They rarely go as she intends them to, so it's not like she's legitimately scary. And finally, you really feel bad for her at points. Even beyond being totally crushed and disappointed at the party when Yuri announced her engagement to Tabuki, her sister died and this was (presumably) the cause of her parents' separation.

The element of Ringo's "fate diary" adds a lot of unique aspects to this anime. Is it something she wrote herself? Is it her sister Momoko's diary, and is she just following it to become more like Momoko? Or is it some supernatural thing? Either way, I think that even though she claims the diary controls her fate, she seems to make her own fate. It's not like any of the things in the diary would happen if she didn't make them happen herself.

I totally ship Ringo and Shoma. They have a really interesting chemistry, especially now that he's obligated to do her bidding, and I absolutely loved the moment in episode 6 when Ringo's mother walked in as Ringo was going crazy and coming down on Sho.

On another note, Kanba seems to be taking a backseat to the Ringo's love triangle, though there are some very interesting things happening with him too. What did Asumi know about the Penguindrum before that woman shot her with the "amnesia bullet?" And why did the woman bother shooting Kanba's ex-girlfriends whom he was interrogating? I think it was just to make him realize what had happened to Asumi.

This series is not where I thought it would be when I finished episode 1. Himari and the twins are taking a backseat to Ringo, who steals literally every scene. I don't think that's such a bad thing though, as this anime finds unique ways to keep the plot fascinating.

As a couple side notes...
I really love the music in the series so far, especially the piece that begins with a dreamy music box and soon morphs into terrifying music.
Also, there seems to be a lot of symbolism in this show. I haven't figured out what the apple means, nor am I clear on the train station, but I will say that I'm pretty sure I know why all the crowds are just faceless stick figures: it's that, although all of those people have their own stories, they don't matter to this particular stories. Even if they had faces, we wouldn't remember them, because we never learn anything about these people. So it's as though they have no face at all.
Finally, I like how the warning animations in the subway foreshadow an event from that episode xD It's pretty clever. This anime looks to be very intelligent.
[close]

Jompa

Haha Slow, it's kinda funny to see how you react to the early parts of the show, when I know how insane it's gonna get. I think you are gonna like this anime;)
Oh, and everyone else, watch it!!
Birdo for Smash

GaryOak

I dropped it after twelfth episode >: L. Not my kind of a series.

I love you. <3
I love you
<3 u2 Gary