News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Yaaay!

Started by PianoMan, August 03, 2008, 09:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PianoMan

I've finally convinced my parents to let me get my own laptop! I've gotta pay for it myself tho and seeing as I don't have a job, that might take a while, but... I'm not a big computer guy *I get RAM and ROM mixed up*, so I need some help. I need:

Standard stuff: Microsoft word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
Firefox compatible
Audacity compatible (unless it's a MAC, so it already has garage band)
iTunes compatible
I'd REALLY like to try Audiosurf, seing as my current computer can't handle it
Fast. I don't know how to express that in numbers, but I'd like to be able to have RuneScape, YouTube, and iTunes up at the same time. And be able to play Audiosurf
Virus protection (unless it's a MAC, obviously)

I'm open-minded on whether I get a MAC or Windows. NOT LINNUX. I could be convinced to get a desktop and MAYBE, just maybe, a Vista.

Mike

Sadly you'll need a very powerful computer to be able to run Word, Firefox, Audacity and the most power consuming thing YouTube. It would cost you at least 4000$ to be able to get a computer that runs them. They don't make XP or Vista anymore, they all come with Linux. As for getting a Mac, you need to be at least 18 years old to get one and you need to pass a 2 year class before they can sell you one.

PianoMan

Quote from: Mike on August 03, 2008, 09:36:22 AMSadly you'll need a very powerful computer to be able to run Word, Firefox, Audacity and the most power consuming thing YouTube. It would cost you at least 4000$ to be able to get a computer that runs them. They don't make XP or Vista anymore, they all come with Linux. As for getting a Mac, you need to be at least 18 years old to get one and you need to pass a 2 year class before they can sell you one.
Um... Are you being sarcastic? *Checks* They make XP and Vista, And I don't think you have to take a 2 year class to use a MAC.

Parker2334

Quote from: PianoMan on August 03, 2008, 09:20:45 AMI've finally convinced my parents to let me get my own laptop! I've gotta pay for it myself tho and seeing as I don't have a job, that might take a while, but... I'm not a big computer guy *I get RAM and ROM mixed up*, so I need some help. I need:

Standard stuff: Microsoft word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
Firefox compatible
Audacity compatible (unless it's a MAC, so it already has garage band)
iTunes compatible
I'd REALLY like to try Audiosurf, seing as my current computer can't handle it
Fast. I don't know how to express that in numbers, but I'd like to be able to have RuneScape, YouTube, and iTunes up at the same time. And be able to play Audiosurf
Virus protection (unless it's a MAC, obviously)

I'm open-minded on whether I get a MAC or Windows. NOT LINNUX. I could be convinced to get a desktop and MAYBE, just maybe, a Vista.

I'd go with This

Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology
3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power; 667MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 1.83GHz processor speed

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

320GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

and more just for $899.99!!!

Quote from: Mike on August 03, 2008, 09:36:22 AMSadly you'll need a very powerful computer to be able to run Word, Firefox, Audacity and the most power consuming thing YouTube. It would cost you at least 4000$ to be able to get a computer that runs them. They don't make XP or Vista anymore, they all come with Linux. As for getting a Mac, you need to be at least 18 years old to get one and you need to pass a 2 year class before they can sell you one.

Wtf...
THESE BIG RED LETTERS HELP ME FIND MY POST.

Jamaha

PianoMan

Quote from: JaMaHa on August 03, 2008, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: PianoMan on August 03, 2008, 09:20:45 AMNOT LINNUX.

It's not that bad. Really.
I don't doubt that, It's just not my style of operating system.

QuoteI'd go with This

Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology
3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory for multitasking power; 667MHz frontside bus, 2MB L2 cache and 1.83GHz processor speed

Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

320GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

and more just for $899.99!!!

Great... except it's sold out online. I'll have to check the store.

Mike

You can't get a PC without Vista now.

KefkaticFanatic

If you buy a pre-built computer (or a Mac) you're getting ripped off.  You can build your own for way cheaper.

me irl
[close]

Mike

Way cheaper and possibly get really bad quality parts. The only time I built my own computer I had to change my video card and my motherboard died 3 times. The first time was a week after I got it, the other one a few months later and the last one was a few months ago so my dad decided to get a new computer instead.

Don't start pulling shit on Macs. Just the things you said to me yesterday about them proves that you have absolutely no knowledge in Macs and you're just pulling a piss on them because you're following the stupid and ignorant Mac haters crowd.

PianoMan

Quote from: Gamer4250 on August 03, 2008, 01:56:51 PMIf you buy a pre-built computer (or a Mac) you're getting ripped off.  You can build your own for way cheaper.
That may be, but for most people who have a life away from technology, that's not possible to build their own. besides, It's way to easy to mess up.

KefkaticFanatic

I only added that Mac part in because I knew Mike was watching this topic and would freak out about it.  And you DO realize they're ridiculously expensive, so I still do have a point, right?

me irl
[close]

Mike

Quote from: Gamer4250 on August 03, 2008, 05:04:26 PMI only added that Mac part in because I knew Mike was watching this topic and would freak out about it.  And you DO realize they're ridiculously expensive, so I still do have a point, right?

Yes ridiculously expensive just like any decent pre-built PC...

Jedesyus

Quote from: JaMaHa on August 03, 2008, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: PianoMan on August 03, 2008, 09:20:45 AMNOT LINNUX.

It's not that bad. Really.

yeah, Linux is actually really powerful, it's just not very user friendly and doesnt support most games and standard applications

It's more of a server operating system

PianoMan

And now, of course, they say I can't have one after all.

Davey

LOL

That was a little mean though