News:

All Hail President Bowser!

Main Menu

'Tis Marching Season

Started by Gooch, July 27, 2008, 08:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooch

hey, so, yeah. Tomorrow at 8:30 i go to my school for that ever dreaded first day of band camp. Although this year wont be nearly as bad as last year (12 hour days with a white-headed 43 year old, red faced man screaming "What are ya doin'?" weren't fun). They've been cut down to 8 hour days (yay, i have a life during band camp). So, i guess this thread is for us band-geeks or wanna-be's to discuss our band camp and marching seasons. I guess the point is, tell us how your day at band camp was, what music are you playing, is it hard, how'd the competition go, where was it? just a whole slew of what is happening in those hot, sweaty suits. Also, tell us what you play (i personally play the Alto Sax). I also strongly encourage you to tell us your nickname (you had better have one, and i dont care how dirty).

So, i'll start out. My band nickname is Gooch (suprise, suprise) and this year we will be playing a custom show called "In Search Of..." and it is a awful litte buggar. It has every time signature, key change you can think of in the first part of it (almost literally changes time sig. every measure, so that means super hard to remember which foot to take off with or what you need to be marching, methinks). I play for GRC (it would be wrong of me to tell you where it is) with my White-headed, nasally voiced band director Randy. So, yeah, i'll tell you more how my days go tomorrow and so on, so post your fears, or what has already happened (i dont know when your camp starts) and if you color guard, tell us how your whole summer of constant practice is going.

MetroidHunter26

Ouch! We wont start till next week I'm hoping we start off the year with a march but not in our uniforms we have our band shirt and some type of pants. and we have to memorize our old marching song land of a thousand dances :P but I'm hoping that my teacher will accept my marching band arrangment (THAT I HAVN'T STARTED YET) of Super Mario 64 Credits theme...Heres hoping! ;D WOOT!!

Palagerini

my friend starts band camp today while i start tennis camp today =P. but i hope to take band next year... i wanted to get p.e. credits out of the way...
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

Gooch

:o marching band is a CLASS??? for us it's only extracurricular (even though Symphonic Band is pretty much Marching Band class while Marching is goin on. Boy, im sure going to have fun today, but i'll spare you most of the details. To say the least, i ate at El Caminos last night with some friends (mexican restraunt) and now im "free-flowin" if you get my drift (lol, no pun intended).

iDOWN

ugh. Band camp.Don't get me started about Drum camp either. I'm first base drum on the drum line. I love it. Drum camp was basically the drum line having to learn all of the show music and cadences before band camp. That was all last week. This week is band camp. I don't have to go until tomorrow. Today is just for the drum major and the freshmen. Tomorrow they add the drum line and the next day they add the restof the band. It from 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM from today until next Wednesday. -cries- Where has my life gone?

Anyway, my nick name? I don't really have one... Well, the base line calls me "1" for being first base drum, and I'm also the section leader, so to say. Other than that, everyone either calls me Tyler or Ty. o.O;; (Or Tylah, if you want to count another of my friends. xD)

Our show is called "Immortal" and is based of the songs "My Immortal" and "Hello" by Evanessence. We're going to the Louisiana Showcase of Marching bands, a state competition, in October and Bands of America, national competition, in Georgia in November.

Harvest

Gooch, how did you get your nick name?

-

scooterulez

I don't start Marching Band until 8/11, so I can practice on my music and finish on my video game playing before it starts and I hope no one forgot my nickname.

iDOWN

PseudoMario16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1dvSlvZLG8 - its... its... beautiful!

Palagerini

Quote from: PseudoMario16 on July 28, 2008, 06:15:34 PMmarching band sucks

i know lol. my plan is to take tennis this year.. and then take marching band next year (to get all my p.e. credits) and then run to jazz band! if i didn't take tennis i would have to take marching for 3 years... =/..
Conversation on Shoddy Battle:
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah. i sent them to her dad

Before you post you might want to make sure you have a couple of these: ..!!??,,,

Feel free to place them wherever.

Gooch

Quote from: iDOWN on July 28, 2008, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: Harvest on July 28, 2008, 12:41:27 PMGooch, how did you get your nick name?

LOL.

Its actually nothing horrible or disgusting. The Saxaphone section gets all the wierd or horrible nicknames, and one of the new saxaphones didn't show up, and his nickname was supposed to be Gooch. Well, since he didn't show up, the guy who gave me my nickname said, "The next GUY that walks through those doors that is a saxaphone shall be named Gooch". I walked in. It's actually sticked and sorta like it in a sense, plus most of my friends call me that (some don't even know my first and last name). Band camp day 1 was pretty good, wasn't too hard but we only really did fundamental stuff.

iDOWN

I start today, but it's just drum line and the drum majors. Just to get their conducting in sync with our play. It's like a pre band camp.

Olimar12345

we start next week, but theres an slt meating in about 20 min. so i gotta go....
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

iDOWN

Good news! We got our drill today! view it here:

http://staband.com/2008marband.htm

It doesn't have the dru, line part in the midi because our instructor arranged it. :P

I can't wait fo Friday, so we can start learning drill! D:

Gooch

yeah, here's my band camp story for today. It was pretty basic, but the Woodwinds go outside for Fundamentals first (i.e. Me). And The very first thing they told us after stretching is,"Ok, there is alot of halts in the drill for the show, so we have to do a lot of choreography. That means we have to limber you up like dancers." Then our band director walks up and tells us, "Yeah, you WILL need to be able to stand on one leg without falling" and there was no farse in his voice, he was as serious as a heart attack. So, we do all our "limbering" and head inside. Well, the next major part of our day is our two sectionals, one with the section leader and another with our section helper (the guy who comes in from some college to help out individual sections). Our guy, well, i call him "The Denzel" even though his name is Tyler. So, we practice for about an hour and a half and we only have 10 or 15 minutes left and he says to us, "Well, you did pretty good today. So, we only have about 10 minutes, what do you want to do....wait....oh no. CRAP, we were supposed to start memorizing the music. QUICK, MEMORIZE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. WE'LL TAKE 'EM 6 MEASURES AT A TIME!!!" And we all laughed, and our synthesizer player was outside the room we were practicing in and she would play the music for the show, then randomly go off on some random jibber-jabber. I think the funniest thing was when she started to play the Hokey-Pokey. Well, thats what happened today that was really noteworthy. I'll tell if anything funny happens tomorrow.