Submission Information:

Series: EarthBound
Game: EarthBound
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Dr. Andonuts' Lab
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

This is a quick arrangement I did, honestly thanks partially to the Mother: Cognitive Dissonance fangame and to Chuggaaconroy's recent Earthbound LP for reminding me about it.

This'll replace my Soft Light submission.

Take care!
-Piano

PlayfulPiano

Whoops, I just noticed I got an octave wrong and forgot about the website, fixed now.

Brassman388

So there wasn't anything inherently wrong with this sheet other than it being a strange track altogether.

So I came up with a few ideas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cdkewu38gl8xvh/Dr.%20Andonuts%27%20Lab%20edit1.pdf?dl=0

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Brassman388 on August 15, 2018, 06:18:20 PMSo there wasn't anything inherently wrong with this sheet other than it being a strange track altogether.

So I came up with a few ideas.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cdkewu38gl8xvh/Dr.%20Andonuts%27%20Lab%20edit1.pdf?dl=0
Doesn't that break some formatting guidelines though? I would think that a submission would require measures/obvious rhythm dividers within the sheet.
Also, I thought the tempo is slower than 80bpm.

LeviR.star

I think Brassman knows what he's doing. This site already has freeform sheets like this, doesn't it?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Brassman388

Latios212

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on August 15, 2018, 08:52:34 PMDoesn't that break some formatting guidelines though? I would think that a submission would require measures/obvious rhythm dividers within the sheet.
The purpose of the sheet music is to clearly communicate to the performer what needs to be played, in order to reflect the original song. So naturally, how something is written out will rely upon the source material, although there is some room for interpretation. Here are a few examples:

"Temple of Time" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a sparse song with a lot of silence; the sheet communicates measured gaps between different piano riffs.

"Lethal Lava Land" from Super Mario 64 - a constantly moving but free-flowing song that doesn't quite fit into any strict rhythm; the sheet uses many different rhythmic figures but deliberately lacks a time signature.

"Field (Day)" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a song that contains distinct phrases in strict tempo that are played spontaneously in-game; the sheet doesn't tie them together as a result.

These sheets use rhythm notation and measures in a way so as to make it clear what's expected of the performer, not to adhere to some standards or guidelines. What I'm trying to say here is simply that how you write it depends on the original song, and how we can best communicate the rhythm and phrasing (or lack thereof).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Latios212 on August 18, 2018, 09:40:44 PMThe purpose of the sheet music is to clearly communicate to the performer what needs to be played, in order to reflect the original song. So naturally, how something is written out will rely upon the source material, although there is some room for interpretation. Here are a few examples:

"Temple of Time" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a sparse song with a lot of silence; the sheet communicates measured gaps between different piano riffs.

"Lethal Lava Land" from Super Mario 64 - a constantly moving but free-flowing song that doesn't quite fit into any strict rhythm; the sheet uses many different rhythmic figures but deliberately lacks a time signature.

"Field (Day)" from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - a song that contains distinct phrases in strict tempo that are played spontaneously in-game; the sheet doesn't tie them together as a result.

These sheets use rhythm notation and measures in a way so as to make it clear what's expected of the performer, not to adhere to some standards or guidelines. What I'm trying to say here is simply that how you write it depends on the original song, and how we can best communicate the rhythm and phrasing (or lack thereof).
What about in the context of this theme? It is something that can be made in both forms, but which one is better?

Trasdegi

Something else I noticed: I don't know if this has been discussed before, but all notes in the melody seem to be doubled, and even if it's echo, I think it would be possible to incorporate it without making the sheet too difficult.

Brassman388

Playful,

Tinker with it, make it your own, and come to the best decision that you can for it. Only you can come up with it since it's YOUR arrangement. I just figured that with my version that it can't be entirely left up to a certain metric thing, you know? I mean, you CAN figure it out in a solid meter, but why do all that work if it can be communicated in a free time like I did?

These are decisions you have to figure out on your own as long as it makes sense.

And the context is that it is a free time thing, so do what you will.

Libera

PlayfulPiano

Alright, I have some free time now, sorry about no responses, had schoolwork to deal with.

I'm not sure what I need to do with this submission, personally because freeform sheets is out of my comfort zone and I rather keep it with measures and the likes. But outside of that, should I include the echo that trasdegi mentioned, or is there something else I should do?

Libera

Quote from: Brassman388 on August 21, 2018, 11:39:11 PMTinker with it, make it your own, and come to the best decision that you can for it. Only you can come up with it since it's YOUR arrangement.
I can't say it much more clearly than that.  If you're not comfortable with that freeform structure, then you don't have to go with it.

I'll be back with more feedback tomorrow.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Libera on October 01, 2018, 04:53:14 PMI can't say it much more clearly than that.  If you're not comfortable with that freeform structure, then you don't have to go with it.

I'll be back with more feedback tomorrow.

I mean, yeah, I'm not comfortable with it, so I'm asking what other changes should I include besides that? Sorry if it wasn't clear.