News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [Wii] Super Paper Mario - "Soft Light" by PlayfulPiano

Started by Zeta, July 17, 2018, 05:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Paper Mario
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Soft Light
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

Video:

Two things to note:
I get that the tempo is decimal based, this is just temporary to keep the theme synced up with the original, as this is still (at some level) incomplete in my eyes regarding notes.

I'm posting this here as it is now to see if people could help out regarding any note suggestions or melody suggestions. I feel like it would be really nice to incorporate the mallets in some level to the melody, but I'm unsure of those notes.

Libera

Having looked through the sheet, I've got a few recommendations:

1. Every time you've got common time for your time signature, I think it'd be better as 4/4, especially since you change time signature quite a lot.
2. I think you should add a courtesy accidental in m.9 in the left hand.
3. In m.13, there's a semiquaver A in the right hand just before the crotchet A in m.14.

Sebastian

In addition to Lebera's feedback (thanks so much btw :) ), I have some of my own:
- Put the composer names into two lines. Then they won't be creeping up under the game title.
- I would switch out the sixteenths (M. 6) for the melody quarter note. What you currently have isn't very pianistic.
- I agree with Lebera's comment about the time signature. I would make those 4/4. Also, in that same vein, I would adjust that "74.5" metronome marking to a whole number. Anything other than a whole number is unnecessary and impractical.
- I would revisit the LH in M. 6-15. A bunch of those bass notes are wrong. Go ahead and start with that plucked lower bass note found in the original. Go ahead and add that. From there you can add in those keyboard/piano chord notes. In my opinion, those plucked bass notes are the priority concerning the LH.
- The 16ths in M. 8 don't sound quite right. Recheck those for note accuracy.
- I don't see a key change being necessary for the last measure.
- Put double barlines before the key change in M. 11.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 02:46:47 PMIn addition to Lebera's feedback (thanks so much btw :) ), I have some of my own:
- Put the composer names into two lines. Then they won't be creeping up under the game title.
- I would switch out the sixteenths (M. 6) for the melody quarter note. What you currently have isn't very pianistic.
- I agree with Lebera's comment about the time signature. I would make those 4/4. Also, in that same vein, I would adjust that "74.5" metronome marking to a whole number. Anything other than a whole number is unnecessary and impractical.
- I would revisit the LH in M. 6-15. A bunch of those bass notes are wrong. Go ahead and start with that plucked lower bass note found in the original. Go ahead and add that. From there you can add in those keyboard/piano chord notes. In my opinion, those plucked bass notes are the priority concerning the LH.
- The 16ths in M. 8 don't sound quite right. Recheck those for note accuracy.
- I don't see a key change being necessary for the last measure.
- Put double barlines before the key change in M. 11.
-Done.
-Not exactly sure what you mean by this, actual melody has two eighth notes and the mallet accompaniment is four sixteenths, do you mean to just have the eighths?
-Can't change common time to 4/4 with allegro due to document wizard, would have to paste the whole thing onto another sheet and redo all the formatting stuff. I'd rather just ignore that until the eventual "someone makes a fix with a newer version of finale which then causes me to be unable to edit the document anymore", where that can probably get easily changed there. The tempo is also a placeholder so the sheets can sync up to the audio of the actual song, it will be changed to a flat 73 bpm once all the pitches are accurate.
-It's hard for me to figure out some of those base pitches. I do think that m6 sounds good though.
-I don't think the pitches are inaccurate, just something to do with the actual durations. The sixteenths feel almost too long in the song's context.
-Would it be alright if I move that key change up one more measure (starting at m14 instead of m15)? That is where the key changes back from a dominant B minor to a dominant Bb major.

InsigTurtle

I'm not sure the effect used in m.6 would be easily replicated on piano, but a quarter note would be an easy way to get around it. If you decide to go with the current route, I'd add some stress or accent marks to the proper notes.

In m.8 I'm hearing the contour of the melody go Bb-Ab-Db, and I'm hearing an A instead of a D on the first beat of m.13

m.13 - 15: It looks like you're missing some of the wind instrument part (either that, or you didn't transcribe it correctly). In the original, I hear a G that leads into the Ab-Bb-G after the repeat.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 23, 2018, 11:45:57 PMI'm not sure the effect used in m.6 would be easily replicated on piano, but a quarter note would be an easy way to get around it. If you decide to go with the current route, I'd add some stress or accent marks to the proper notes.

In m.8 I'm hearing the contour of the melody go Bb-Ab-Db, and I'm hearing an A instead of a D on the first beat of m.13

m.13 - 15: It looks like you're missing some of the wind instrument part (either that, or you didn't transcribe it correctly). In the original, I hear a G that leads into the Ab-Bb-G after the repeat.
Not sure what you mean with m6 exactly.

Changed m8, and for m13, that A is from what I'm hearing in the left hand, while there's a quiet D in the right.

Not sure which measure you hear the G-Ab-Bb-G.

PlayfulPiano

Going to put this arrangement on hiatus, I got another one closer to ready imo. I'll see if I can get back to this later.