[SNES] Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - "Mining Melancholy" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, July 16, 2018, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Donkey Kong
Game: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Mining Melancholy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

Sebastian

Oh, YES. Love this soundtrack.

*Clicks the claim button*

Expect feedback on this sheet soon!

Latios212

It's a little difficult to tell which noteheads are smaller in m. 30-33 upon a quick glance - perhaps you could try a dynamic change, using multiple layers, or flipping the echoed part differently? I'd recommend you try testing things out a bit to see if you can make the intent a bit clearer there.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on July 17, 2018, 04:16:39 PMIt's a little difficult to tell which noteheads are smaller in m. 30-33 upon a quick glance - perhaps you could try a dynamic change, using multiple layers, or flipping the echoed part differently? I'd recommend you try testing things out a bit to see if you can make the intent a bit clearer there.
How about this: the "echo" is on a separate layer & flipped opposite the direction of the main melody? (OP updated with this change)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Nice sheet once again!

Few things:
- Once again you can center the dynamic in M. 1 & 30.
- The second-page title is a bit off center.
- The arranger/composer names are a bit misaligned.
- Not a huge deal, more like a recommendation, but you could add another staff (percussion) and then hide it.
- Layers in M. 16 (beat 1; RH) are misaligned.
- Just a recommendation: You could add the chords (like with M. 16+ etc.) in M. 34-41.
- The LH accompaniment sounds a bit dry in M. 15-21. Something like this could work (It is also more comparable to the original, as well [It could also work in M. 34-41]):
Spoiler
[close]
- The parentheses in M. 21 (and other places) are a bit messy and could use some straightening up. That'd be awesome.
- The layers need to be flipped in M. 32.

Once again, great sheet! Excited to see more high quality. : ))

Latios212

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PM- The layers need to be flipped in M. 32.
Disagree here - the "top" layer is used to denote the echo and flipping the layers in that measure would mess up the continuity of the two voices

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PMOnce again, great sheet! Excited to see more high quality. : ))
Agree here!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PM- Once again you can center the dynamic in M. 1 & 30.
- The second-page title is a bit off center.
- The arranger/composer names are a bit misaligned.
- Layers in M. 16 (beat 1; RH) are misaligned.
- The parentheses in M. 21 (and other places) are a bit messy and could use some straightening up. That'd be awesome.
Fixed.

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PM- Not a huge deal, more like a recommendation, but you could add another staff (percussion) and then hide it.
I would do this, but then I have no idea how to mute the piano line

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PM- Just a recommendation: You could add the chords (like with M. 16+ etc.) in M. 34-41.
The idea is for the player to double the melody an octave lower - adding additional chords would muddle the sound

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PM- The LH accompaniment sounds a bit dry in M. 15-21. Something like this could work (It is also more comparable to the original, as well [It could also work in M. 34-41]):
Spoiler
[close]
I tried it, but I don't think it sounds that much better. I'll stick with the current baseline for now.

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:33:34 PMOnce again, great sheet! Excited to see more high quality. : ))
I onLY UpLoaD HIgH qUaLItY viDeO GAme SHeEt mUSiC

InsigTurtle

Perhaps you could change the accompaniment there too in m.34-41 too, then? As is, it sounds... a bit more active than the original, I suppose? That's all up to you, though.

For muting the piano and adding a percussion line in instead, I believe you could try adding a hidden dynamic marking that sets the key velocity to zero just for that part (or make a fake mp mark that actually sets the key velocity to zero). Then any other dynamic marking will set the key-velocity to a non-zero value you can actually hear stuff.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2018, 12:40:19 AMPerhaps you could change the accompaniment there too in m.34-41 too, then? As is, it sounds... a bit more active than the original, I suppose? That's all up to you, though.
Upon further inspection it appears I had the bassline wrong the entire time. Whoops. Fixed

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2018, 12:40:19 AMFor muting the piano and adding a percussion line in instead, I believe you could try adding a hidden dynamic marking that sets the key velocity to zero just for that part (or make a fake mp mark that actually sets the key velocity to zero). Then any other dynamic marking will set the key-velocity to a non-zero value you can actually hear stuff.
lol it's fine the way it is now.

Yug_Guy

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta