Series: Donkey Kong
Game: Donkey Kong Country
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Gang-Plank Galleon
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

WaluigiTime64

Some nice work here.

M.1-20 feels like it needs some more articulation. I feel like that whole section there is really dying for some staccato treatment.
In fact, the whole arrangement could probably use some more articulation, but it's particularly lacking in the first section.

M.21: RH playability? You could roll that chord, but I don't see any reason for not just changing the inversion of the lower chord so it can all fit into one hand.

Otherwise, good stuff. I'm curious about how manageable those single note tremolos are, but that's probably for an updater to decide.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 17, 2018, 01:52:03 AMM.1-20 feels like it needs some more articulation. I feel like that whole section there is really dying for some staccato treatment.
Added staccatos to the LH. I tried using them during certain parts in the RH, but it just didn't feel right, so there aren't any atm.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 17, 2018, 01:52:03 AMM.21: RH playability? You could roll that chord, but I don't see any reason for not just changing the inversion of the lower chord so it can all fit into one hand.
Fair enough - I just went ahead and deleted the D in the RH. No sense having it when the LH doubles it in the bass.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on July 17, 2018, 01:52:03 AMOtherwise, good stuff. I'm curious about how manageable those single note tremolos are, but that's probably for an updater to decide.
The tremolos are an imperfect solution to an imperfect problem. I'm hoping it turns out alright.

Sebastian

Updated the title.

Great sheet, by the way!
A few things I have:
- I would recommend changing all the grace notes to half steps (for examples, Bbs to Bnats).
- Go ahead and slur all the grace notes to the next note. It's always acceptable to label grace notes as either legato or staccato etc.
- Center the dynamic in the pickup measure (between the staves; it's a bit off-kilter).

Notes sound great. Really like this song!

InsigTurtle

Single note tremolos should be fine with 1-2-3 fingering.
The double notes, however, would probably be better off written as a tremolo between two notes (there's a plugin for that!). Otherwise, it'd be very tiring as is.

You could also consider filling out the grace notes with the harmonizing notes from m.37-40 - it'd be perfectly alright if you have strong fingers. I can understand why you have it as is, though.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:18:32 PM- Go ahead and slur all the grace notes to the next note. It's always acceptable to label grace notes as either legato or staccato etc.
- Center the dynamic in the pickup measure (between the staves; it's a bit off-kilter).
Fixed.

Quote from: Sebastian on July 18, 2018, 06:18:32 PM- I would recommend changing all the grace notes to half steps (for examples, Bbs to Bnats).
Well, I'd argue that for the most part, the original has a pitch-bend that's at least a whole step, if not more. I've modified the grace notes somewhat, let me know whether you think it sounds closer to the original or not.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2018, 12:51:04 AMThe double notes, however, would probably be better off written as a tremolo between two notes (there's a plugin for that!). Otherwise, it'd be very tiring as is.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a tremolo between two notes & the way I have it currently written essentially the same thing? Because at the very least I would like to keep it the way it is for consistency purposes.

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2018, 12:51:04 AMYou could also consider filling out the grace notes with the harmonizing notes from m.37-40 - it'd be perfectly alright if you have strong fingers. I can understand why you have it as is, though.
Yeah, but I'm assuming not everyone who plays this piece will have the finger strength to pull off double grace notes. 

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 03, 2018, 04:32:02 PMPlease correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a tremolo between two notes & the way I have it currently written essentially the same thing? Because at the very least I would like to keep it the way it is for consistency purposes.
The way you have it written now implies that you strike the two notes simultaneously over and over, as opposed to alternating them.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on August 03, 2018, 04:53:54 PMThe way you have it written now implies that you strike the two notes simultaneously over and over, as opposed to alternating them.
Fair enough. Fixed.

Latios212

This looks terrific! Just a few comments from me before we finish up:
- Grace note in m. 2 should be G#, instead of F
- LH dyad in m. 3 should be C-G, not C-F
- Grace note in m. 20 should be chromatic (G#)
- Just a consistency thing, sometimes your grace notes have one flag, some have two, and some have three... why?
- The section from m. 21-24 should have some sort of diminuendo, before returning back to a normal volume since this part "fades out"
- m. 31 beat 4 - the pitch bend is tricky, but I think beat 4 should be an E, with the Eb passing on the way to the D (I'd recommend the Eb as a grace note to the D in m. 32)
- Watch the pp dynamics in your PDF export. Finale has a problem with that; try using an external printer if it's a problem.
- Your margins are a bit small and you could afford to widen them a bit by reducing space between LH/RH staves (something like 0.9 in. would work fine for this piece). Make sure you have the secondary page titles and page numbers at the same height, too.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on August 04, 2018, 09:13:25 AM- Grace note in m. 2 should be G#, instead of F
- Grace note in m. 20 should be chromatic (G#)
- Just a consistency thing, sometimes your grace notes have one flag, some have two, and some have three... why?
- The section from m. 21-24 should have some sort of diminuendo, before returning back to a normal volume since this part "fades out"
- m. 31 beat 4 - the pitch bend is tricky, but I think beat 4 should be an E, with the Eb passing on the way to the D (I'd recommend the Eb as a grace note to the D in m. 32)
- Your margins are a bit small and you could afford to widen them a bit by reducing space between LH/RH staves (something like 0.9 in. would work fine for this piece). Make sure you have the secondary page titles and page numbers at the same height, too.
Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on August 04, 2018, 09:13:25 AM- LH dyad in m. 3 should be C-G, not C-F
Gonna have to disagree with you here, I distinctly hear C-F. I tried changing it to C-G, and it didn't sound correct at all.

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 04, 2018, 10:39:23 AMGonna have to disagree with you here, I distinctly hear C-F. I tried changing it to C-G, and it didn't sound correct at all.
Hmm, I'm quite certain about this...

(We looking at the half note dyad?)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

Ah, there's the problem; I believe Latios meant m. 3 after the pickup measure. I agree that the dyad in what appears to be m. 4 should be C-G as well, though technically speaking, that is in fact m. 3.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Dudeman on August 04, 2018, 01:30:35 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on August 04, 2018, 12:50:49 PMHmm, I'm quite certain about this...

(We looking at the half note dyad?)
Ah, there's the problem; I believe Latios meant m. 3 after the pickup measure. I agree that the dyad in what appears to be m. 4 should be C-G as well, though technically speaking, that is in fact m. 3.
Oh, my bad... fixed.

Latios212

Nice!

(Agh last thing I'm seeing, sorry. The page 2 number is off to the left unlike the staff. Once that's in the right place, I approve!)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle