News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [GBA] Astro Boy: Omega Factor - "Tender Recollection" by Echo

Started by Zeta, July 16, 2018, 07:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Tender Recollection
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Echo

Echo

Been way too long since I've been here, or since I've arranged at all, for that matter. Let's hope that I haven't gotten too rusty since then.

Latios212

Aesthetics! There's a lot of prettifying we can do here, so please bear with me.

Overall the music is not very well distributed across the pages of this sheet:
- Vertically: there's a lot of wasted space in between the left hand and right hand staves which causes the systems to be too close to each other and the outside of the page - like the bottom of page 1 where the music shoves the copyright into the margin.
- Horizontally: the music is cramped horizontally in places too, particularly m. 11 where beats 2-4 in the left hand are all squashed together.

What can we do to better redistribute the music across the page?
Option 1: Make better use of the space you have. Move the LH and RH staves closer together in all systems to save space, and make the staves a bit smaller to alleviate horizontal cramping. The fourth system is still a problem, so bump a measure back to the previous system and rework the measure distribution in the intro section.
Option 2: Expand onto three pages. Keep the sizing you have, but redistribute both the measures and the systems to allow more breathing room for the notes and markings.

I've included sketches of both of the above options for you to think about and compare - feel free to use them! (I just moved things around, some things probably need to be re-aligned and such.)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mnfqpxbyr3hgf1g/AADZ8Bb2FXO7SOqv_AmUCHY0a?dl=0

Other stuff:
- Use expression markings instead of text boxed for "con pedale" and the like, that way they'll be attached to the staff instead of the page when you move things around.
- Perhaps just putting "con pedale" at the beginning of the piece to imply pedal for the whole piece, since your explicit pedal markings for the first part could easily be inferred?
- Use dotted eighths instead of 8th-tied-16th. In m. 23 you can also condense the two tied 16ths into an 8th, and use a quarter in m. 3 instead of two tied 8ths.
- You can move the beam over beat 2 of m. 4 back to normal height after we free up some space.
- Page margins (bottom of page 1 and top of page 2) are small and should be widened.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brassman388

Libera

I'm going to delete this for inactivity.  Feel free to resubmit when you feel ready.