News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

We should expand submissions to include an alternative Musescore format.

Started by PlayfulPiano, July 11, 2018, 10:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we implement an alternative format for Musescore users?

Yes
14 (51.9%)
No
13 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Bespinben

As of the current moment, it is not possible to configure Musescore 2.3 to output notation that matches the house style of the majority of this site's Finale-based sheets. The number one reason for this is that Musescore does not support 3rd party music fonts (Maestro, Maestro Wide, EngraverFontSet, etc.) outside its own presets.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

So, until Musescore can support 3rd party music fonts, it is impossible to create Musescore submissions that match Finale's default output.

Here's what needs to happen in the music notation software industry before NSM can integrate Musescore:
(1) Musescore must natively allow 3rd party music fonts, and do so in a way that allows seamless* (see below) swapping of SMUFL fonts
(2) Makemusic must create an SMUFL-compatible version of Maestro, and then ship this in a future version of Finale Notepad.

*While Finale and Sibelius do allow music font swaps, the fonts themselves have to be optimized for those specific programs. Yes, you can port in SMUFL Bravura to Finale, but it will result in many glyphs not being where they should. This is why things like Fravura/Aruvarb/Norfolk exist (derivatives of Bravura), because no commercial notation software can swap SMUFL fonts seamlessly (except Dorico) without serious typographical anomalies

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Trasdegi

Quote from: Bespinben on July 14, 2018, 09:04:23 PMHere's what needs to happen in the music notation software industry before NSM can integrate Musescore:
(1) Musescore must natively allow 3rd party music fonts, and do so in a way that allows seamless* (see below) swapping of SMUFL fonts
(2) Makemusic must create an SMUFL-compatible version of Maestro, and then ship this in a future version of Finale Notepad.

Yeah, but there's still a way to have MuseScore on NSM: get rid of Finale.

Altissimo

lolol ye
or just use... a different font................................... this is not hard

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Altissimo on July 15, 2018, 09:19:11 AMlolol ye
or just use... a different font................................... this is not hard

Then how will you deal with the backlog of current .mus / .mid / .pdf files on the site already with the current music font?

Unless Tras does something even more insane.

Brassman388

Quote from: Bespinben on July 14, 2018, 09:04:23 PMSo, until Musescore can support 3rd party music fonts, it is impossible to create Musescore submissions that match Finale's default output.

For those in the back who didn't catch it the first time.

PhoxLogic

Welp, time to give my two cents. Personally, the only (and I mean the ONLY) thing that's stopped me from trying to make submissions on this site, is the lack of ability to submit in MuseScore format. If I were to try and submit arrangements here I wouldn't want to have to touch Finale at ALL. It's old, and quite frankly: I don't like the idea of having to use a (quite deprecated) free trial version of a paid software when I can just use a free program which has a full feature set. I know such an addition/transition would not be smooth... But here's the thing. You can't stick with Finale forever. If that demo isn't being updated, then eventually it might not even run on present-day machines. It'll be as obsolete as Windows XP. Eventually you're gonna have to implement something else... And I don't think it would be wise to delay the inevitable for too long. Even if it isn't implemented right now, I'd suggest at the very least starting on something for it.
My favorite aspect of Surl is that... it is... Earth-friendly.

Brassman388

Just ask one of the updaters maybe and we'll get it done.

At least, i'm always here for the arranger. If you ask me to convert files from the bare bottom, all I ask is you do most of the conversion work thru notepad and I'll finish up with my full version. It keeps you, the arrangers, happy, and us, the staff, happy.

We're here to produce work, or music. Any small obstacles such as this is a misnomer, and can be remedied if we just work together rather than putting it one just one person.

Tras has done more than enough. Most of the staff has done more than enough. And the site is well more than willing to accept what music you want to produce. All you have to do is the work and ask either me or one of the updaters (maybe, me for sure) to help you out with formatting and the nitty gritty.

I hope you continue to stay and become part of NSM.