NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Author Topic: Poetry for Beginners - Haiku (and more?)  (Read 56 times)

Onionleaf

• Termina Tango
  • In a world of her own
    • View Profile
Poetry for Beginners - Haiku (and more?)
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:17:30 AM »

As much as I love reading stories and poetry, I really have no talent for writing them. However, that doesn't mean that there's no reason to still enjoy it as a hobby. I've always found haikus to be both fun and fortunately not too challenging. So I thought I would write some once in a while to distract my mind from the hassles of daily life.

I hope you'll also join me on this mini challenge and get your creative juices flowing. :) Who knows, there may be a writer lying dormant within you...

I
Pen twirls on paper
A stage of pure perfection
With no binding rules.

II
White. Black. Back and forth,
Keys are struck, bringing forth sound
As clear as raindrops.

III
Through ornate branches
The sun burns golden, then red
Amidst pastel skies.

(The winter sunsets have been really beautiful this month!)

Libera

• Blank Manuscript Paper
  • hi
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poetry for Beginners - Haiku (and more?)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »

I found this post just before I went to work today and boy was that a mistake.  This is a great idea!  I spent most of time today goofing off writing haikus, which is strange since I've never really done any writing before.  I guess what you said about there being no reason not to enjoy it as a hobby struck me, as I probably don't do more writing because I think I won't be any good.  But you're right, that doesn't really matter if you have fun while doing it, does it?

Without further ado, here is a selection of some of the ones I wrote earlier today. (sadly with a phone keyboard rather than a pen, although the image that your first haiku gives is certainly inspiring!)

I
Summer is hiding
under a cloak of bleak grey
while autumn still comes.

II
Life could be colour,
bewildering strokes of light
twirling and blending.

III
The proud Silver Lords,
atop their spires of cold glass,
envy the Gold Lords.

IV
If we saw just blue,
the rainbow might to us be
as gods to dark seas.

V
I dream that past hopes
rise, collect on me like dew
for me to realise.

It's funny that you mention how beautiful the sunsets in winter are with you, while here it's summer and the weather is terrible!

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 23 queries.