News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness -

Started by Zeta, June 09, 2018, 10:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Mt. Bristle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: FiveNineSquared

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

FiveNineSquared

Latios212

Man, this is a really fantastic arrangement! I'll help you get this Finale-ized sometime soon.

Quote from: FiveNineSquared on June 09, 2018, 10:27:32 AMA bit of a problem with the sharps at m18, can't figure out how to fix it
Besides it looking messy, I'd recommend giving it a second thought since you can't sustain and re-strike those A#/D#s simultaneously, and the rhythm there is a bit difficult to read too.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Right, I decided on removing the held notes and replacing it with a let vibrate so that there's only one voice for the whole part. Hopefully this reduces the clutter (and fixes the sharp thing)

ie

AwesomeYears

I don't know if it's the same with the MUS file, but at the left hand at the pickup to bar 13 and all other identical bars, the clash between Gs and As is displayed as still G#s with no natural indicating it. The MIDI is fine, but the PDF ain't. This song is kickass btw.

FiveNineSquared

Oh, that's odd. I guess .xml files do all these weird things when you import them into Notepad (I think the tie over cancelled out the natural in the previous bar)

Thanks, fixed!

Latios212

There are a few more miscellaneous kinks with the file - do you mind if I iron it out a bit for you as I review it?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Latios212

Sorry for the wait! I've fiddled with the layout a bunch, most notably changing the measure distribution to un-squish some places and flip some notes/articulations.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Thanks Lat for the reformat!

...And shoot I just realised that I missed out a few brackets I put on the original Musescore file

I wrote them because they were the same note in both staves or were a bit hard to reach. I'm not sure if they're needed though
Other than this, everything's good for me

Latios212

They're not strictly necessary, for the G's it's pretty clear to emphasize the overlapped note there and for the F# in m. 6 I would think to prioritize that over the E on the bottom but regardless I think it's fine for the performer to choose what to omit there if they can't reach.

I can change them if you want, but looks ready to me as is!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FiveNineSquared

Well, if it's not wholly needed, omitting them is okay. I like to let the performer decide on what to do for these things most of the time.

Libera

A few small things:
-There are quite a few places where you have staccatos with pedal.  While I guess there's nothing inherently bad about that I'm not really sure what the performer can do to realise the notation in that situation so I feel like they're kind of superfluous.
-There should probably be a dynamic in bar 5 because at the moment it reads on the repeat that it should still be at fortissimo.
-I feel like some of the cross-beams could do with a little tweak to make them look a bit cleaner but that's really nitpicky.

Otherwise, cool arrangement!

InsigTurtle

Couple of things to add on:
m.20-23 guitar part - instead of some of the quarter notes and eighth rests you have, i hear the guitar part going back down to that A.
m.25-32 spelling - i think it'd make more sense for the B#'s to be C's instead (thinking more modally here instead, and it makes the parallel fifths motion from m.28-29 more clear. as well, m.32's treble clef is essentially just one diminished seventh chord, so i don't think there's any need to respell the D# as Eb halfway through

FiveNineSquared

Quote from: Libera on September 18, 2018, 10:39:14 AM-There are quite a few places where you have staccatos with pedal.  While I guess there's nothing inherently bad about that I'm not really sure what the performer can do to realise the notation in that situation so I feel like they're kind of superfluous.
-There should probably be a dynamic in bar 5 because at the moment it reads on the repeat that it should still be at fortissimo.
-I feel like some of the cross-beams could do with a little tweak to make them look a bit cleaner but that's really nitpicky.
Otherwise, cool arrangement!

- Uh for this I was going for the effect of playing a normal staccato as if the pedal wasn't on, while it's on. So just hitting the keys and letting go while sustaining (I'm not proficient in piano so playing methods aren't really my thing).

- I'm pretty sure the D.C. repeats from the start and not the repeat barline, so I don't think there needs to be another mf there.

- I don't think I can do much for the beam formatting with Notepad so this is up to anyone who wants to change it :p

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: InsigTurtle on September 18, 2018, 11:31:22 PMm.20-23 guitar part - instead of some of the quarter notes and eighth rests you have, i hear the guitar part going back down to that A.
m.25-32 spelling - i think it'd make more sense for the B#'s to be C's instead (thinking more modally here instead, and it makes the parallel fifths motion from m.28-29 more clear. as well, m.32's treble clef is essentially just one diminished seventh chord, so i don't think there's any need to respell the D# as Eb halfway through

Ooh, it's a little faint but I can sorta hear it. Looks like with Notepad I can only add one E at m20 though; changing the cross-beam makes Notepad go all wonky.

(i actually missed out the B#s in the bass clef if i'd noticed i would've written them as Cs whoops)
And with the last few bars I was honestly completely unsure about chord spelling (and also in general tbh) so I just went with what looked not-cluttered lol
Anyway I tried to fix what I could!