[DELETED] [GCN] Super Mario Sunshine - "Boss Battle" (Replacement) by V.E. Norman & E. Gadd Industries

Started by Zeta, June 04, 2018, 01:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Sunshine
Console: Nintendo GameCube
Title: Boss Battle
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: V.E. Norman & E. Gadd Industries

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

E. Gadd Industries

YouTube links
Main Boss Battle Theme

Gooper Blooper Battle Theme

"Angry Wiggler" Theme

"Very Angry Wiggler" Theme
[close]

In addition to correcting the current sheet on-site and giving it a facelift, I added in the 3 other variations of this theme present in the game and attempted to arrange it similarly to "Route 2" from Pokemon Black/White, arranged by Latios and JD. Performer's Note is included at the end of the piece to give a bit of guidance as to how to play the sheet. I wasn't quite sure how to format the MIDI so I just submitted it as is. The MUSX is messy due to Finale's issues that have been mentioned in the past.

I think that's everything worth mentioning.

EDIT: OH One thing, this sheet will need to be edited on-site to be called "Various Boss Battle Themes" or whatever is deemed to be appropriate to reflect the collective nature of this sheet.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Some things to consider:

- Would you consider this one song with variations, or different songs that share a section? The sheet implies the former, while the title implies the latter. Just as when JDMEK5 and I wrote out all of the variations of "Route 2 (insert season)" I simply left the title as "Route 2" since they were essentially one song with a few varying details. You may want to consider doing the same and leaving the title as the site currently has it, since "Various Boss Battle Themes" implies you have a collection of different tracks, which isn't really what you seem to be going for. I'm open to hearing otherwise, though.

- When I was messing around with the formatting for Route 2 the intros were all two measures, so I started numbering the main loop at measure 3 since it's really the first two measures of the song that differ based on the variation. I was going to say that wouldn't work here because the fourth intro has three measures, but actually that one should be two measures as well. Rhythm should go quarter + half + triplet eighths + whole note as the appropriate tempo (you may need to adjust).

- Accidentals can be tricky, but there are a couple simple guidelines to follow that can help you clean this up. First, when two voices are moving in parallel (up and down by the same amount), try and keep the intervals consistent. Look at the last dyad in the first measure - it's preceded by a bunch of minor thirds. So think about writing this one as one too, using a C flat instead of a B natural. There's a bunch of places where this applies, like the fourth intro and measures 19-20. Secondly, when a note is sandwiched between (preceded and followed by) instances of a chromatically adjacent note, you generally want to spell those differently. Here, in practice, that means you'd want to use E# in the right hand of m. 12 (you can also tell because of the intervals) and G# in measures 37-38. Take another pass through the sheet with these two tips in mind, and see how much weird-looking stuff you can clean up.

- Regarding playback, you can insert hidden jump markings and stuff to make them all play back in sequence or however you like. Again, refer to the Route 2 file for specifics. I can elaborate more if needed.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

E. Gadd Industries

While everything hasn't been fixed, I have addressed the comments below, and I've updated the file according to the changes mentioned.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:15:54 PMSome things to consider:

- Would you consider this one song with variations, or different songs that share a section? The sheet implies the former, while the title implies the latter. Just as when JDMEK5 and I wrote out all of the variations of "Route 2 (insert season)" I simply left the title as "Route 2" since they were essentially one song with a few varying details. You may want to consider doing the same and leaving the title as the site currently has it, since "Various Boss Battle Themes" implies you have a collection of different tracks, which isn't really what you seem to be going for. I'm open to hearing otherwise, though.
Got that taken care of. I thought about it, and yeah, it is one song with variations presented in the sheet.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:15:54 PM- When I was messing around with the formatting for Route 2 the intros were all two measures, so I started numbering the main loop at measure 3 since it's really the first two measures of the song that differ based on the variation. I was going to say that wouldn't work here because the fourth intro has three measures, but actually that one should be two measures as well. Rhythm should go quarter + half + triplet eighths + whole note as the appropriate tempo (you may need to adjust).
Uh... THC helped me out with the measure renumbering and everything, but I'm not sure what to do about the tempo change. Which is why the tempo marking is in the middle of the staff. That said, I believe you mentioned something about the whole tempo issue in the updater server, but nothing ever came of it.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:15:54 PM- Accidentals can be tricky, but there are a couple simple guidelines to follow that can help you clean this up. First, when two voices are moving in parallel (up and down by the same amount), try and keep the intervals consistent. Look at the last dyad in the first measure - it's preceded by a bunch of minor thirds. So think about writing this one as one too, using a C flat instead of a B natural. There's a bunch of places where this applies, like the fourth intro and measures 19-20. Secondly, when a note is sandwiched between (preceded and followed by) instances of a chromatically adjacent note, you generally want to spell those differently. Here, in practice, that means you'd want to use E# in the right hand of m. 12 (you can also tell because of the intervals) and G# in measures 37-38. Take another pass through the sheet with these two tips in mind, and see how much weird-looking stuff you can clean up.
I think I fixed everything. There were several places that needed some tuning with this issue.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:15:54 PM- Regarding playback, you can insert hidden jump markings and stuff to make them all play back in sequence or however you like. Again, refer to the Route 2 file for specifics. I can elaborate more if needed.
If you could please elaborate because I'm not sure how to go about adding jumps and such in the most appropriate way.

As I said above, not everything is fixed, but it's closer to completion.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

I'll do an original comparison later. For the time being, here are a few things I see:
- I would recommend changing those titles and putting them into the expression text/metronome marking. Similar to this sheet and others like it: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2914
It will give it a cleaner look.
- Curious, is there a reason for the bpm marking in M. 2 of "Boss Battle" and M. 2 of "Angry Wiggler" and "Very Angry Wiggler?"
- I would recommend hiding one of the eighth rests in M. 1 (in both Angry Wiggler and Very Angry Wiggler)and then aligning the unhidden eighth rest with the rest of the rests in that measure.
- This is a personal preference of mine, so don't feel obligated to change this. I find courtesy accidentals without parentheses much more appealing because they take up less space and look less messy. Just a recommendation. : )
- The performance note looks a bit...odd. I would recommend a different format. I'm not exactly sure, at the moment, so stayed tuned for an idea from me later.
- Accidentals look odd to me in a few places, but I'll check that out when I compare this sheet to the original.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- I would recommend changing those titles and putting them into the expression text/metronome marking. Similar to this sheet and others like it: http://www.ninsheetmusic.org/download/pdf/2914
It will give it a cleaner look.
Fix'd

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- Curious, is there a reason for the bpm marking in M. 2 of "Boss Battle" and M. 2 of "Angry Wiggler" and "Very Angry Wiggler?"
For "Angry Wiggler" and "Very Angry Wiggler", it is to show the tempo the performer should reach by the time they finish the introduction, and the tempo they should play the rest of the piece at. For "Boss Battle", it's a bit more uncertain; this stems from Latios' suggestion to make the Boss Battle introduction two measures long at a given rhythm structure. In making it two measures, I had to change the tempo, and since the main part of the piece is played at 190 and not 127 (or whatever I have the intro tempo set at), I placed the second tempo marking. It is intentionally in the middle of the system, as it was uncertain how that whole situation should be handled.
[/quote]

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- I would recommend hiding one of the eighth rests in M. 1 (in both Angry Wiggler and Very Angry Wiggler)and then aligning the unhidden eighth rest with the rest of the rests in that measure.
Fix'd

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- This is a personal preference of mine, so don't feel obligated to change this. I find courtesy accidentals without parentheses much more appealing because they take up less space and look less messy. Just a recommendation. : )
I will look into this more as the sheet is cleaned up. And possibly discuss with you via Discord.

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- The performance note looks a bit...odd. I would recommend a different format. I'm not exactly sure, at the moment, so stayed tuned for an idea from me later.
Roger that. I did find a typo and fixed that.

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 07:44:50 AM- Accidentals look odd to me in a few places, but I'll check that out when I compare this sheet to the original.
o7
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

So I've been thinking, and I'm going to delete this for now in favor of submitting a much more straightforward arrangement that's been sitting in my PAT for a while. I'm also entertaining the idea of splitting this into 2-3 different sheets just to facilitate the editing process in making the sheet not so... sticky?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]