idea for a pokemon series, wondering who would be interested

Started by Altissimo, May 18, 2018, 05:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Because I'm bonkers, I am beginning to seriously consider a Youtube series (possibly involving streams if there's enough interest) showcasing me completing a living dex in one game in every set in the main series (e.g. one of RSE and one of FRLG even though they're in the same gen). This is still kind of a thought-in-progress sort of thing and almost definitely a project for after I have more money (so I can purchase the needed recording and playing equipment) and have gotten through my backlog of other projects, which includes the aforementioned Mystery Dungeon series. Regardless, it's on my mind, so I wanted to post about it here for a few reasons:

1) Who would be interested in watching such a series?
2) In order to spice it up so it's not just a thousand videos of me catching things in successive games I'd want to spice it up a little with gimmicks or challenge conditions, and I am open to suggestions on that.
3) I'm also open to additional rule suggestions or changes.

My current plans are as follows:

I will complete a living dex in one game from each of the following sets: RBY, GSC, RSE, FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, BW, BW2, XY, ORAS, SuMo, USUM. Additionally, I will need access to Colosseum and XD in order to get Ho-oh and Lugia in the gen 3 games, so I will also show off "completing" those games (which I haven't ever finished before this for the record). Event legends aren't going to be used unless there's a glitch that allows me to obtain the event legend, in which case I have to figure out how to make that work and get the event that way. (By blanket-excluding event legends I'm removing the potential headache nightmare that might come from trying to find a clean copy of Ranger to get Manaphy from or the Colosseum bonus disc or all of that nonsense. I'm only mostly insane.)

In each set of games, I'll pick one to use as my Pokédex-game. The one I choose to use as the Pokédex-game can only be started once, and that first file will be the file I complete with the Pokédex. Things like getting mutually exclusive mons (starters, fossils, etc) will have to come from another game in the set.

In the Pokédex-file, I am going to make a point to complete as much of the Pokédex as possible within that file alone before trading from another game. So for example if my Pokédex file in GSC era is Gold, I must get Suicune in Gold rather than trading it from Crystal even though doing that would be a hell of a lot easier. This is partially because it's my historical method of Pokédex completion but also partially because it is probably more interesting to watch me catching things in RSE and FRLG separately than completing the dex in RSE and then trading it all to FRLG. :p

With cross-compatible sets of games (e.g. RBY/GSC or DPPt/HGSS or USUM with literally every single other game) I have a little bit of a method to the hierarchy I plan to use for trade among these games as well:
RBY's Pokédex must be completing using solely RBY. This means I don't have access to breeding and must manually acquire Eevee and its evolutions as well as each form of the starters.
GSC's Pokédex must be completed as much as possible with GSC. Only when I can't get a mon (Kanto starters/legends/fossils) in GSC proper will I resort to trading it up from RBY.
In gen 3, my hierarchy mostly goes as follows: for RSE it is RSE > Colo/XD > FRLG, in other words very roughly in order of release date. (I'm still working this out due to the overlap between Colo/XD and FRLG and the additional headache caused by the Pokémon added for Emerald. Ideas on this are appreciated.) For FRLG it is FRLG > RSE > Colo/XD.
In gen 4 onwards, my hierarchy prioritizes games of that generation before possible transfers. In completing SuMo for instance the order is SuMo>USUM>any transfers (probably ordered in RBY/GSC > gen 6 > gen 5 > gen 4 > gen 3).

My other big rule for this, which I may or may not relax on at some points (it's a soft rule at the moment), is to prioritize as well the means by I receive Pokémon. Roughly it is a Wild > Gift > In-game Trade > Evolve/Breed organization, which means that if a Pokémon is available in the wild I must catch it in the wild, even if it can be obtained by evolving another mon. The reason this is a soft rule is because while I think it's more interesting than evolving a million thing, we all know there exist nightmares like SOS battle Salamence and fishing in rippling water for Dragonite in BW(2?) and things like that and I don't yet know if I'm willing to commit lol. So yeah feel free to offer opinions on that lol

I was also thinking about making each Pokédex-file playthrough have a different gimmick, like one file is a Nuzlocke and another is a monotype and stuff like that. So I'm also looking for ideas on the potential gimmicks or challenges to use in this.

Also. I'm not even sure if I'm going to do this lol and it's insane as hell so also feel free to dissuade me from it :B

Dudeman

How much of the series do you have already? i.e., how much of a financial commitment would this be? I think that's the most important factor to consider before starting. Also for your own sanity I wouldn't recommend trying to exclusively get things in the wild if they can be caught in the wild; mass evolving is kinda boring but I always like my personal living dexes more when I can look at a fully-evolved 'mon and say "awww you were cute when you were smol".

I say if it's a pet project and you'd feel super accomplished for doing it, go for it. You'd probably go insane in the process but you probably already are so that shouldn't be a problem :P
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

It's really funny because a week ago I started Ultra Sun with the exact same intent. I've chained Salamence, Gorebyss, Slowbro and Slowking, Salazzle, and basically everything else so far (I evolved for Pikachu and Snorlax and Espeon and Umbreon, but that's all I can think of right now).

Oddly enough, the hardest one to chain so far was actually Octillery. This is because Remoraid's call rate is abysmal and its success rate is even worse. It would go 15 turns without a new ally sometimes.

If you plan on doing this with the Ultra games, highly recommend the official strategy guide. It's all on Bulbapedia, for sure, but every item and Pokémon in each area is presented as a checklist, and I find it helpful and satisfying to check off each Pokémon as I catch them. (I also discovered some new sub events—didn't know that after you do a grand trial a bunch of events open up on the island!)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Altissimo

Quote from: Dudeman on May 19, 2018, 11:55:12 AMHow much of the series do you have already? i.e., how much of a financial commitment would this be? I think that's the most important factor to consider before starting. Also for your own sanity I wouldn't recommend trying to exclusively get things in the wild if they can be caught in the wild; mass evolving is kinda boring but I always like my personal living dexes more when I can look at a fully-evolved 'mon and say "awww you were cute when you were smol".

I say if it's a pet project and you'd feel super accomplished for doing it, go for it. You'd probably go insane in the process but you probably already are so that shouldn't be a problem :P

Would need some recording equipment, probably something like a Game Boy Player, and a few copies of games I don't have but those probably mostly go for cheap. Financial concern is a consideration though.

MaestroUGC

Emulators are always an option, but if you want to use proper hardware I recommend an Elgato to record gameplay with, the original model can record just about every console since NES, while the HD model only records from HDMI. It's what I use in tangent with OBS for the recording software (which is free) because the Elgato program is a bit wonky at times and Audacity for recording commentary. You'll also probably want some sort of video editor which my also need some investment depending on how fancy you want to make it.

Just note recording DS and 3DS gameplay is not easy nor cheap at the moment and emulation for either is either not great or nonexistent.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Altissimo

The necessity of getting all that equipment is exactly why I'm trying to gauge interest first lol. Thanks.

Trainer Ave

I'm too lazy to quote it but your paragraph where you talk about getting any available Mon within the file you've decided to get the Pokedex in you may want to reconsider. Munchlax in gen 4 is a pain in the ass and there's only one way to get it from within that game alone......and it can take months to even find 1.

Also lol. You talked about Manaphy from Ranger. I'm actually shiny hunting that.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Trainer Ave

But also if you do want to stick to that, I have a pretty interesting gen 4 gimmick you could try. It's a bit difficult to set up but it would make for some very interesting videos. Also it works for diamond pearl Platinum HeartGold and SoulSilver. I'd love to talk with you about it on discord.

Honestly I'm definitely interested in seeing this.
YouTube Channel
Like hunting shinies?
Join my Discord server

Altissimo

Quote from: Trainer Ave on May 28, 2018, 09:39:03 PMI'm too lazy to quote it but your paragraph where you talk about getting any available Mon within the file you've decided to get the Pokedex in you may want to reconsider. Munchlax in gen 4 is a pain in the ass and there's only one way to get it from within that game alone......and it can take months to even find 1.
I've done it before lmao
and sure hmu on discord